Prep: 5 min.
Cook: 7 min.
Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 Japanese eggplant sliced on an angle in half-inch thick slices
- 1 small zucchini sliced on an angle in half-inch thick slices
- 1 red pepper cut in quarter’s lengthwise
- 1 small red onion cut into 4 slices
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices crusty peasant style bread cut 1/2-inch thick
- 4 pieces red leaf lettuce
- Herbed Mayonnaise, recipe follows
Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on the vegetable slices and the portobello mushrooms. Season them with salt and pepper. Place vegetables on a hot grill and cook until they are tender. Once vegetables are done brush sliced bread with olive oil and grill on both sides. To assemble, slice portobellos into 1/4-inch slices, spread both sides of the grilled bread with herbed mayonnaise and then top with 1 slice each of grilled vegetables and a quarter of the mushrooms, and finish off with lettuce and top with remaining piece of bread.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- A few drop hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse.
Yield: 4 servings Preparation time: 3 minutes