Servings: 4 servings.
Prep Time: 25 mins.
Total Time: 58 mins.
- 2 medium-size eggplant (about 2-1/4 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained, or homemade fresh-roasted peppers, if desired
- 1-1/2 cups prepared low-fat marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim tops and bottoms from eggplant. Cut each into 6 lengthwise slices, about 1/2-inch thick. Spread slices onto 2 large cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Sprinkle slices with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, then turn slices over and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand 15 minutes, flipping slices halfway.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Quickly rinse eggplant slices under running water; pat dry. Spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Grill slices until softened and nicely marked, about 4 minutes per side. Return slices (do not overlap) to large cookie sheets (without paper towels).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the mozzarella, the ricotta, egg yolk, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Divide red pepper pieces evenly among eggplant slices, placing them on the wider end of each slice. Top each pepper with a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling. Place 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish. Roll up eggplant slices, starting at the wide end and enclosing filling. Place in dish. Top with remaining 1 cup marinara sauce, remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Add salt to taste.
Per serving: Calories 343, Total Fat 15 g, Cholesterol 99 mg, Sodium 1040 mg, Carbohydrate 31 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 24 g Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet