Ingredients of Cumin-spiked Tofu:
- 12 ounces extra-firm organic tofu
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend
- 6 medium cloves garlic, crushed then chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 7 or 8-ounce container of Greek yogurt
Directions for Cumin-spiked Tofu:
- Unwrap the tofu. Dry it off by patting and pressing with a few paper towels. Cut the tofu into slabs roughly the size of a business card, with the thickness of a pencil.
- In a wide, shallow rimmed dish (a tart pan or pie dish works great) whisk together all the remaining ingredients. Place the tofu in the marinade in a single layer and gently coat the tofu with the yogurt. Cover and refrigerate for (at least) a few hours. I sometimes leave it marinating for a few days, cooking the tofu when needed.
- In a grill pan, or on a grill, cook the tofu (retaining some of the yogurt slather on each piece) over medium heat until the tofu is cooked through and the surface of the tofu has nice color. Flip once along the way. If the pan/grill is too hot the outside of the tofu will overcook before the inside is hot, so be mindful of this.
- Serve over this carrot salad.
- Serves about 4.