Prep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min. Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients of Corn ‘n’ Squash Quesadillas:
- 2 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 small sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions for Corn ‘n’ Squash Quesadillas:
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes; turn. Place the squash, onion and jalapenos on grill; cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. When vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove corn from the cobs, chop the squash and onion, and seed and chop the jalapenos. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, garlic, salt and cumin. Place 1/2 cup filling on one side of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold tortillas over filling. On a griddle or large skillet, cook quesadillas in oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until heated through. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
- Editor’s Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
- Nutritional Analysis:
- 1 quesadilla (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 514 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.