Yield: Serves 10 to 12
Ingredients of Coal-Roasted Mushrooms with Mint:
- 2 pounds assorted mushrooms, such as cremini, button, shiitake, chanterelle, and trumpet
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated and lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, plus leaves and flowers for garnish
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions for Coal-Roasted Mushrooms with Mint:
- Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 to 6 seconds.) Assemble 10 pieces of foil, each about 10 inches square. Toss mushrooms, garlic, and mint with oil, salt, and pepper. Divide mushroom mixture among pieces of foil (about 1/2 cup per packet). Drizzle with oil. Fold and crimp to enclose.
- Place packets on grill rack or nestle them in hot coals. Roast until mushrooms and garlic are soft and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Drizzle with oil, and garnish with mint leaves and flowers.