Ingredients of Chickpea – TVP Burgers:
- 1.5 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1/2 cup TVP
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 t liquid smoke
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- S+P, to taste
For the Cooked Chickpeas
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 a red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- Salt, to taste
Directions for Chickpea – TVP Burgers:
- Cook chickpeas and bring to room temperature (or, if cooked in advance and refrigerated, set out for 30 – 60 minutes to come to room temperature before using)
- Combine the TVP and vegetable broth and let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, using the “S” blade, quickly pulse the cooked chickpeas (leave some chunk). Add the TVP and all remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined.
- Make into patties and refrigerate a few hours (or overnight or put in the freezer for 20 minutes). Set out at room temperate about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill on a George Foreman grill for 7 – 8 minutes on each side.
For the Cooked Chickpeas:
- Heat the olive oil in the uncovered pressure cooker. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the bay leaf and the rinsed, drained chickpeas. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and bring to pressure cooking on high pressure for 30 minutes. Use the quick release method. Slowly remove the lid, away from you. Add salt and simmer, if necessary, for a few minutes uncovered on low heat.