Servings: Makes 30 appetizer servings.
Total Time: 1 hr
Ingredients of big-batch grilled vegetables:
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup light mayonnaise dressing
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 4 carrots, peeled, diagonally sliced 1-1/2 inches thick
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 red, green, and/or yellow sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions for big-batch grilled vegetables:
- For Aioli, remove the papery outer layers from garlic but leave the skins of the cloves intact. Cut off 1/4 inch from the tips to expose the individual cloves. Place garlic heads, cut side up, in a small baking dish or foil packet and brush sides and top with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed; cool. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Squeeze garlic from individual roasted cloves into a medium bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, and chives. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Bring a small amount of water to boiling in a large saucepan; add asparagus and carrots. Return to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 3 minutes. Drain well. Set aside. Lightly coat a grilling tray or vegetable grilling basket with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush all vegetables with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and place on the prepared grilling tray or in prepared vegetable grilling basket.
- Grill vegetables in an uncovered grill directly over medium heat until tender, turning occasionally with long-handled tongs. Monitor grilling carefully so vegetables don’t char; a few grill marks are fine. Allow 2 to 3 minutes for tomatoes, 3 to 5 minutes for asparagus and carots, 5 to 6 minutes for onion and sweet pepper. Remove vegetables from grill as done. Salt and pepper to taste. Cut eggplant slices in half and cut each quartered pepper in half again.
- Arrange one-third of vegetables on serving platter alongside Aioli. Makes 30 appetizer servings.
- For double service, serve one-third of the vegetables with the aioli for a party; cover and refrigerate remaining vegetables (8 cups) for Grilled Ratatouille and Spicy Grilled Vegetable Couscous.
per serving with 1-1/2 tablespoons Grand Aioli.
Per serving: Calories 124, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Sodium 195 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 27%, Vitamin C 32%, Calcium 2%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet