Preparation and cooking times:
Prep 5 mins.
Cook 15 mins.
- 2 medium aubergines
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 85g low-fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- 3 tbsp fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- Trim the stalks from the aubergines, then cut each into 6 slices lengthwise. Lay them in one layer on a grill pan and lightly brush with oil and a little seasoning. Grill until lightly browned, turn them over, brush with oil again, then grill until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick pan, add the onion and gently fry until softened. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 mins. When the aubergines are cool, spread half the slices with a little soft cheese and cover with the remaining slices to make sandwiches.
- Spread half the sauce over a shallow ovenproof dish. Arrange the aubergine sandwiches, overlapping, over the top and pour over the remaining sauce. Sprinkle over the crumbs, then grill until browned.
- If you want to prepare this dish in advance, assemble it and leave to cool, then reheat in the oven at 200C/fan 180/gas 6 for 15-20 mins until the crumbs are browned.
Nutrition per serving:
260 kcalories, protein 12g, carbohydrate 28g, fat 12 g, saturated fat 3g, fibre 8g, sugar 14g, salt 1.49 g.