- 1 lb. (about 10) baby artichokes with stems, trimmed and halved lengthwise, tough outer leaves discarded
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb. spaghetti
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Put artichokes, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 6 cups water in a 4-quart saucepan. Boil, reduce heat, and simmer until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain artichokes; transfer to a medium bowl; toss with 4 tbsp. oil and salt and pepper. Heat a 12″ grill pan over high heat. Place artichokes cut side down on grill pan and cook until tender, 6 minutes per side. Return grilled artichokes to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta; cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 6–7 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water; set aside. Heat remaining oil and 3 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat; add chile flakes and garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is soft, 4–5 minutes. Add remaining lemon juice along with zest, cooked pasta, and 1⁄2 cup Parmesan and toss together, adding reserved pasta water as needed to create a smooth sauce. Stir in remaining butter and parsley and season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide pasta evenly between four bowls and top with artichokes; garnish with Parmesan and parsley.