Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes.
Grill Time: 12 Minutes.
- 1 (12- to 16-oz.) ciabatta or Italian bread loaf
- 12 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup firmly packed chopped fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Cut bread loaf into 8 (1-inch-thick) slices; cut slices in half, if desired.
- Drizzle tomatoes and onion with 2 Tbsp. oil, tossing to coat.
- Grill tomatoes and onion, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until lightly charred.
- Coarsely chop grilled tomatoes and onion, and place in a medium bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. oil, cucumber, and next 3 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush bread slices with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Grill, without grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and toasted.
- Place grilled bread slices on individual serving plates; top with tomato mixture.