A focaccia spread with goat cheese and cream cheese is the base for this vegetable recipe. Grilled eggplant, zucchini, and red and orange sweet peppers, brushed with a balsamic vinegar mixture, colorfully top the pizza-like main dish.
Servings: Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 28 mins.
Ingredients on sale: 3.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 largered and/or orange sweet peppers
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved crosswise and sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1 purchased focaccia (about a 12-inch round)
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, water, oil, and dried oregano. Set aside. Cut sweet peppers in quarters. Remove stems, membranes, and seeds. Arrange all vegetables on grill rack; brush with vinegar mixture. Grill on an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals until slightly charred, turning occasionally (allow 8 to 10 minutes for peppers and eggplant, and 5 to 6 minutes for squash). Cut peppers into strips.
- In a small bowl combine the goat cheese and cream cheese. Set aside. Cut focaccia in half crosswise. Split halves into 2 layers horizontally to form 4 pieces total.
- Spread goat cheese mixture over bottom layers of focaccia. Top with some of the sweet peppers, squash, and eggplant; place top halves of focaccia over vegetables. To serve, cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with fresh oregano. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: Calories 324, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 31 mg, Sodium 470 mg, Carbohydrate 51 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 10 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Starch 3, Lean Meat .5, Fat 1. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet