Yield: Serves 4.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 red onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant or 2 baby eggplants, purple or white
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
- 1 tomato
- 1 bunch arugula
- Brush garlic and onion slices with oil and place near the edge of a medium-hot grill to cook slowly. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes, turning garlic often. Leave on grill while cooking vegetables in step 2.
- Cut eggplant into thick slices or in half lengthwise, depending on size. Brush eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers lightly with oil and place in center of grill. Cook a few minutes per side, turning once, until vegetables are seared and brown.
- Slice bread and brush with oil. Grill on both sides just until brown. Cut tomato in half and rub over one side of hot bread; discard tomato.
- Arrange grilled vegetables, bread, onion, and garlic on top of arugula and serve immediately.