Servings: Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 1 hr.
Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins.
- 1 recipe Quick Mole Sauce, (recipe below)
- 4 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 largered onion, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp.olive oil
- 16 4 to 6-inchtoasted corn tortillas*
- 1 8-oz. cartonsour cream
- 1 cupcrumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Avocado slices and/or Fresh Cilantro
- Prepare Quick Mole Sauce.
- Brush zucchini or squash, eggplant, and onion with olive oil; season with salt and black pepper.
- For charcoal grill, on rack of uncovered grill, cook vegetables directly over medium coals 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through grilling. (For gas grill, preheat. Reduce heat to medium. Place vegetables on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Cut vegetables in pieces.
- Serve the grilled vegetables with Quick Mole Sauce, toasted tortillas, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and cilantro. Makes 8 servings.
Toasted corn tortillas
(Find 4-inch tortillas in stores that stock Mexican foods.) Brush both sides of tortillas with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Place on baking sheet. Heat in 425 degrees F oven 8 minutes or until golden. Or, after brushing with oil, grill directly over medium coals 30 seconds each side or until warmed.
Quick mole sauce
In large dry skillet over medium heat toast 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted. Remove from skillet. In same skillet cook 1 medium onion, chopped and 2 cloves garlic, minced in hot oil 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cook 1 minute more or until fragrant. Stir in 1 cup barbecue sauce, 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped, and hot pepper sauce (optional). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly. Transfer onion mixture and toasted seeds to blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Thin with water if needed; cool. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Hot: 2 tsp. chili powder Hotter: 3 tsp. hot chili powder Hottest: 4 tsp. hot chili powder + hot-style BBQ sauce
Per serving: Calories 464, Total Fat 28 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Monounsaturated Fat 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 514 mg, Carbohydrate 48 g, Total Sugar 16 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 11 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 66%, Calcium 17%, Iron 12%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.