Yield: 4 appetizer servings.
Prep: 15 mins.
Bake: 350°F 15 mins.
- 3 large tomatoes (about 8 oz. each) or a variety of smaller tomatoes (about 1-1/2 lb. total)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small green, yellow, purple, or red sweet pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Cut each tomato into 4 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. If using smaller tomatoes, halve each one. For each of 4 servings, arrange 3 tomato slices, overlapping slightly, in a foil-lined, 15x10x1-inch baking pan. (Or, if using smaller tomatoes, arrange in a single layer in a foil-lined,15x10x1-inch baking pan.) Sprinkle with shredded cheese, finely chopped pepper, and toasted almonds. Bake about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Carefully lift with large metal spatula to individual plates, allowing excess juices to drain off.
- To prepare on a grill, arrange ingredients as above in a shallow disposable foil pan. In a grill with a cover arrange medium-hot coals around the edge of the grill; test for medium heat above the center of the grill. Place the pan with the tomatoes in the center of the grill rack. Grill, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
From the test kitchen
- Arrange tomatoe slices in baking pan and sprinkle with cheese, pepper, and nuts. Cover and chill up to 4 hours. Bake or grill as above.
nutrition facts (Grilled Tomato Melts):
cal. (kcal) 203, Fat, total (g) 14, chol. (mg) 25, sat. fat (g) 6, carb. (g) 13, fiber (g) 2, pro. (g) 10, vit. A (RE) 216, vit. C (mg) 47, sodium (mg) 172, calcium (mg) 202, iron (mg) 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet