Servings: 6 (about 1-cup) side-dish servings.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2 green and/or red sweet peppers, halved, stems, membranes, and seeds removed
- 6 large cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 recipe Herbed Vinaigrette (below)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
1. In a very large bowl, combine eggplant, onion wedges, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Add olive oil and cider vinegar. Toss to coat vegetables.
2. Place vegetables on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals. (If grilling with Balsamic Pork Tenderloin, arrange vegetables over coals around outside edge of rack.) Grill for 3 minutes; turn vegetables. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
3. To serve, cut each pepper half into 3 strips. Arrange vegetables on a platter. Drizzle with Herbed Vinaigrette. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme. Makes 6 (about 1-cup) side-dish servings.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon snipped fresh parsley, 1/4 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme, 1/4 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and dash ground black pepper.
Test kitchen tip:
Leave onion wedges attached at the root end to hold wedges together.
Per serving: Calories 126, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 55 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 2 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%. Exchanges: Vegetable 2, Fat 1.5. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet