Makes: 8 servings
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces peeled, deveined raw shrimp (40-50 count)
- 1/2 cup diced andouille sausage or tasso ham
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 1/2 cup seafood stock
Butter Sauce & Fish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds redfish, striped bass or drumfish fillets, skin on
- To prepare cornbread: Preheat oven to 350°F; coat an 8-inch-square metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk milk, egg and oil in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cornbread until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the sides and turn out onto the rack. Let cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°.
- To prepare couche couche: Break the cornbread into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sausage (or ham) and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are three-quarters cooked and pink in spots, 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds more. Add beer and stock and bring to a simmer. Add the cornbread and cook, stirring gently, until it absorbs all the liquid and is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; keep warm in the oven while you prepare the butter sauce and grill the fish.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- To prepare butter sauce & fish: Stir butter, oil, Cajun seasoning, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on Medium just until the butter is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill fish, skin-side down, basting every 4 minutes with the butter sauce, until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve the fish with the couche couche.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare cornbread (Steps 1-3), and store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Tip: Grill rack, how to oil: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 347 calories; 15 g fat ( 4 g sat , 6 g mono ); 169 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 489 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.