Serves 4 as a side dish.
For the spice rub
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
For the potatoes
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine all the spice rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat all burners of a gas grill to medium-high heat or light a charcoal grill.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into three-sided wedges. In a medium bowl, toss them with the olive oil, then sprinkle the cut edges with the spice rub (you may not need all of it).
- If you’re using a gas grill, lower one of the burners to low heat, leaving the other(s) at medium-high to create a hot zone and a cool zone. If you’re using a charcoal grill, bank the hot coals to one side of the grill so that you have a hotter side and a cooler side. (The coals should be 5 to 6 inches from the grate on the hotter side.)
- Put the potatoes on the grill, cut side down, directly over the hottest part of the fire. Cover the grill (if you’re using a charcoal grill, cover it only partially and make sure the bottom vents are open). Cook the potatoes until deep reddish-golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes, and turn them over onto their other cut side. Cover and grill until nicely colored, another 4 to 6 minutes. Move the potatoes to the cooler side of the grill, flipping them so they’re skin side down. Cover and grill until tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about another 6 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Size : without seasonings; Calories (kcal): 90; Fat (g): 0; Fat Calories (kcal): 0; Saturated Fat (g): 0; Protein (g): 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 0; Carbohydrates (g): 20; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0; Sodium (mg): 5; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 2;