Original recipe makes 4 servings
- portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 (8 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing
- 1 (14 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place the mushrooms in a large resealable plastic bag with the salad dressing. Seal, and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Heat the marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium heat, and keep warm.
- Oil the grill grate. Place the mushrooms on the grill, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes on each side, until lightly toasted.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Spread the bottom of a shallow baking dish or oven-proof plate with just enough marinara sauce to cover the bottom. Place mushrooms in the dish bottom side up, and top with the peppers and remaining marinara sauce. Place 2 slices of cheese on each mushroom, and sprinkle with oregano and basil.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.