This recipe has many variations and is extremely versatile. A normal 1-pound package of tofu will serve three to four people, and it’s easy to double or triple the grilled ginger tofu recipe to serve more.
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 2 T. soy sauce or tamari
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 1 T. orange or lemon juice
- 1/2 T. rice vinegar
- 1 T. fresh diced ginger
- 1/2 T. fresh diced garlic
- 1 T. sesame oil
- cooking spray
- Drain the tofu thoroughly by wrapping it in paper towels and squeezing it gently to release moisture.
- Cut the block of tofu in fourths, and drain each piece further if necessary.
- Mix the marinade. In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce or tamari, maple syrup, orange or lemon juice, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Whisk, then submerge the slices of tofu in the marinade.
- Let the tofu sit, refrigerated, in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the grill and coat it with cooking spray to prevent the tofu pieces from sticking.
- Remove the tofu pieces from the marinade and set them gently on the grill. Grill the pieces until they are browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side. To add additional flavor to the tofu, brush it with more marinade as it is grilling.
- Serve immediately, while the pieces are still warm and crisp.