Makes: 4 to 6 servings.
Prep: 25 mins.
Grill: 10 mins.
- 2 bulbs fresh fennel
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice bread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Trim fronds from fennel. Cut fennel lengthwise in 1/4- to 1/2-inch wedges. Brush vegetables with oil. Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper. Arrange coals around perimeter of grill. Place fennel in center of grill rack. Cover and grill 10 to 12 minutes or until fennel has grill marks and outer edges begin to caramelize, turning occasionally. During last 5 to 6 minutes of grilling, place tomatoes on rack directly over coals. Grill just until tomatoes soften, turning once. Transfer to platter.
- Meanwhile, tear bread and place in blender. Cover and pulse with on-off turns for coarse crumbs. In skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add crumbs. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes, just until crumbs are browned. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Spoon over vegetables. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutrition facts (Grilled Fennel and Tomatoes):
Servings Per Recipe 4, cal. (kcal) 262, Fat, total (g) 21, chol. (mg) 28, sat. fat (g) 8, carb. (g) 15, Monosaturated fat (g) 10, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 5, sugar (g) 2, pro. (g) 5, vit. A (IU) 1118, vit. C (mg) 24, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 52, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 367, Potassium (mg) 696, calcium (mg) 162, iron (mg) 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.