Original recipe makes 8 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (11 ounce) log goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- In a large bowl, coat eggplant with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices on a tray. Place a slice of tomato and a slice of goat cheese on each slice of eggplant. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the tomatoes and cheese. Top with remaining slices of eggplant, and secure each bundle with a toothpick.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Remove toothpicks, and arrange bundles on grate. Cook about 7 to 8 minutes, then carefully flip. Continue cooking for 6 to 7 minutes.
To cook in the oven, bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until softened and melt in your mouth delicious!
Fresh mozzarella can easily be substituted if you don’t like goat cheese.