Our healthier eggplant Parmesan sandwich uses tender, smoky grilled eggplant instead of fried, so it has a fraction of the fat and calories. To make these sandwiches a cinch to prepare, make sure to have all your ingredients ready before you head out to the grill.
Servings: 4 servings.
Prep Time: 45 mins.
Total Time: 45 mins.
- 1 large eggplant, (1 1/4 – 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 3 tablespoonsfinely shredded Parmesan, or Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cupshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 small piecesfocaccia bread, or rustic Italian bread
- 2 teaspoonsextra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ouncesbaby spinach
- 1 cupcrushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 3 tablespoonschopped fresh basil, divided
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Coat both sides lightly with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan (or Asiago) and mozzarella in a small bowl. Brush both sides of focaccia (or bread) with oil.
- Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on High until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Place all your ingredients on the baking sheet with the eggplant and take it to the grill. Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.
- Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the eggplant stack is hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 291, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 12 mg, Sodium 756 mg, Carbohydrate 48 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 12 g, Potassium 526 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 38%, Vitamin C 23%, Calcium 22%. Exchanges: Starch 2,Vegetable 2, Medium-Fat Meat 1, Fat 0.5. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.