Servings: 8 servings.
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins.
- 2 largeripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoonsalt
- 2 medium-sizeeggplants (2-1/2 pounds total), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 teaspoondried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoondried basil
- 2 clovesgarlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cupheavy cream
- 1-1/2 cupsshredded Fontina cheese
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Place sliced tomatoes on paper toweling; sprinkle with salt. Place paper toweling on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat top of tomatoes to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Prepare outdoor grill with medium-hot coals, or heat gas grill to medium-hot, or heat oven broiler.
- Coat eggplant on both sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Grill eggplant slices 6 inches from coals, or broil on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, 6 inches from heat, 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat large, shallow oval baking dish (about 15 x 10 inches) with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange eggplant and tomato slices, alternating, around and slightly up sides of baking dish. Avoid overlapping too much; try to keep in single layer. Place a few down center of dish. Sprinkle with oregano, basil and garlic. Pour heavy cream over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven 45 minutes, until bubbly. Remove foil. Bake 10 minutes, until cheese is golden. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: Calories 179, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 44 mg, Sodium 309 mg, Carbohydrate 12 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 7 g. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet