Servings # 12.
Number of ingredients: 5.
Prep time: 30 Min.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices (1/4 inch thick) fresh mozzarella cheese (about 6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Place bell peppers on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium-high heat 10 to 13 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes, until all sides are blistered and charred.
- Place peppers in brown paper bag; fold down top. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Carefully peel as much skin from peppers as possible. Cut in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds and ribs. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place 1 slice of cheese in each pepper half; drizzle with oil. Return pepper halves to grill; cook about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil. Cut each pepper half in half again.
- Freshly roasted red peppers have better flavor and texture than roasted peppers from a jar. Peeling the peppers under cool water helps loosen the peels but washes away the smoky-sweet flavor.
- Roast and peel the peppers in advance; cover and refrigerate them for up to 4 hours. Garnish and grill as directed.
- To broil bell peppers, place on broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until black and blistered. Continue as directed in recipe; broil 5 minutes longer.
1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4 1/2g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 85mg; Total Carbohydrate 3g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 2g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Exchanges:0 Starch;0 Fruit;0 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;1/2 High-Fat Meat;0 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:0; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.