- 2 medium green, red, and/or yellow sweet peppers
- 1 medium eggplant (about 12 ounces), cut into 12 slices
- 1 tablespo onolive oil
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1/4 cupDijon-style mustard
- Quarter the sweet peppers lengthwise; remove and discard the stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Brush eggplant slices with oil. Grill eggplant slices and sweet pepper quarters on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 4 minutes. Turn and grill 3 to 5 minutes more or until eggplant is tender and sweet peppers are slightly charred. Remove vegetables from grill; set aside.
- Spread 1 side of each French bread slice with goat cheese and mustard. Layer 3 eggplant slices and 2 sweet pepper quarters on 4 of the bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 698 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 9 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 46%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Starch 1.5, Fat 1. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet