Prep: 5 min.
Cook: 7 min.
Yield: 4 sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, cracked away from skin
- 8 slices crusty Italian semolina bread
- 1 cup shredded provolone
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
- 1 cup shredded Asiago
* All of these cheeses are available in specialty cheese case and dairy aisle already shredded.
- In a small skillet over medium low heat, combine oil, butter and garlic. Cook garlic in butter and oil gently for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove garlic butter mixture from heat.
- Place a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Using a pastry brush, brush 1 side of 4 slices of bread with garlic oil and place buttered side down in skillet. Top each slice with equal amounts of the 4 cheeses, distributing them equally over the 4 slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread brushed with garlic butter, buttered side up. Flip the grill cheese sandwiches a few times until cheeses are melted and gooey and bread is toasty and golden. Cut grilled 4 cheese sandwiches from corner to corner and serve.