Preparation and cooking times:
Prep 10 mins.
Cook 25 mins.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- ½ finger length piece fresh root ginger , shredded
- 2 mild red chillies , thinly sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tomatoes , chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- rice or naan bread , to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion over a low heat until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further 5 mins until the onions are golden and the garlic slightly toasted.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala and cumin, stirring over a low heat for a few secs. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and add the tomato purée, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan with 300ml water (fill the can three-quarters full). Simmer for 10 mins before stirring in the spinach to wilt. Season and serve with rice or naan.
Nutrition per serving:
145 kcalories, protein 7g, carbohydrate 17g, fat 6 g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 5g, sugar 6g, salt 0.56 g