These colourful grilled vegetables, topped with a fresh tomato and basil salsa and creamy camembert cheese, make a wonderful vegetarian main course. Also great for barbies. Enjoy with toasted ciabatta slices and a green salad.
Ready in 45 minutes.
- 1 small butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into slices
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 eggplant, thickly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and cut into wide strips
- 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded and cut into wide strips
- 200 g asparagus, trimmed
- 2 large flat mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 small ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 150 g camembert cheese, cut into small pieces
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the pumpkin and cook for about 3 minutes until slightly softened. Drain.
- Preheat a large cast-iron, ridged grill pan. Pour the oil into a small saucepan. Using a pastry brush, very lightly coat the onions with oil and chargrill for about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a large platter and keep warm. Oil and chargrill the zucchini and eggplant in the same way, then add to the platter.
- Chargrill the capsicum, without oil, for 3–4 minutes on each side until charred and slightly softened. Transfer to the platter. Lightly oil the asparagus and chargrill, turning occasionally, for about 4 minutes. Add to the platter.
- Very lightly oil the mushrooms and parboiled pumpkin and chargrill for about 3 minutes, turning once. Add to the platter.
- To make the salsa, add the tomatoes, garlic and basil to the oil remaining in the small pan. Heat through gently and season to taste. Pour the salsa over the grilled vegetables and scatter the camembert over the top.
8 portions vegetables
You can grill all the vegetables up to 3 hours ahead and keep, covered, at room temperature. Or, they can be chilled for up to 2 days to serve cold. Add the cooled salsa and camembert cheese just before serving.
- Protein 17 g
- Fat 25 g
- Saturates 8 g
- Carbohydrate 20 g
- Fibre 13.5 g
- Sodium 273 mg
- Energy 1650 kJ